Dr. Steve Shafer

• Witness: Michael Jackson’s doctor erred in giving drug

Dr. Steve Shafer calls the use of propofol “jaw dropping.”

By Anne Geggis
    Staff writer
    Published: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 9:50 p.m.
    Last Modified: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 9:50 p.m.

The drug that killed Michael Jackson might have revolutionized surgery — making recovery much easier to take — but Dr. Conrad Murray's administration of it to the pop star was “jaw dropping,” according to the anesthesiologist who testified for the prosecution.

Fresh from the November trial, Dr. Steve Shafer, a professor of anesthesiology at Columbia University, was a visiting professor at the University of Florida College of Medicine this week to talk about his role in the trial and other topics with medical trainees.

Murray, a cardiologist, was sentenced to four years in prison for involuntary manslaughter on Nov. 29. Jackson had been in Murray's care at the time of his death.

Testimony at the trial showed Murray had administered the surgical anesthetic propofol to Jackson just before his death after the pop star begged him to give him something to sleep.

“To see that drug administered in that setting suggested … (Murray) had no clue what he was doing,” Shafer said. “MJ could have requested intravenous maple syrup, but that doesn't excuse Murray giving it to him.”

Shafer, however, said he rejects the notion that his testimony served as the linchpin of the prosecution's case that prompted the jury to return the verdict after two days of deliberations.

“He was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for exactly the same reasons that were obvious 48 hours after MJ passed away,” he said.

Shafer said that propofol has improved patients' experience of surgery tremendously and, even though there is potential for abuse, he's against scheduling the drug as the federal government classifies drugs like cocaine, heroin, marijuana and powerful prescription painkillers.

That's because surgeons in the operating room need access to large amounts and quickly, which would become problematic if propofol was scheduled.

“In the recovery room, you used to see people throwing up,” he said. “Now you see them awake, comfortable and not miserable at all.”

The problem is that it also depresses the breathing reflex. he said.

He said that the trend that made Florida the center of trafficking for powerful prescription painkillers also has made many of his colleagues reluctant to prescribe them — even for people at the end of life, managing cancer pain or dealing with chronic pain.

“The long-term solution requires new biology — drugs that treat pain without opioids,” he said. “What makes opioids so good is that they block pain. And the part of the brain that deals with physical pain is the same part that deals with psychological pain.”

Quelle: http://www.gainesville.com

• :top Thank you message from Dr. Shafer to all the fans for their letters :top

Dr. Shafer has asked us to publish a general statement from him thanking all the fans about the thank you letters / cards / gifts he receive as it's impossible for him to find and answer each person individually.

Dear Ivy:

I have received a lovely tree, evocative of Michael Jackson’s “Giving Tree,” from Michael Jackson fans in Russia and the Ukraine. It goes nicely with the enormous “Congratulations” card from Miss Jenna Pal, which arrived in the largest envelop I have ever seen. I have also received many thank you letters from Michael Jackson fans, more than I can answer individually.

I can’t tell you how much it means to me to receive such kind and thoughtful expressions of gratitude from Michael Jackson’s fans. I don’t know how to reach them to express my appreciation. My hope is that you can post this note in a way that reaches them.

Sincerely,

Steve

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4766[/ATTACH]

http://www.mjjcommunity.com/fo…ers?p=3595727#post3595727

[CENTER]Some people like to sleep well and give.
    Some people like to eat well and take.
    I guess, I like to sleep well!

Michael Jackson[/CENTER]

• Dass der sich die Zeit nimmt, so ein vielbeschäftigter Mann:snief...das ist rührend...ich schnief gleich ne Runde mit, Alex:drück

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"][SIZE="4"]So Look The Truth
    You're Just Another Part Of Me.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Dr. Shafer hat gebeten, seine Zeilen zu veröffentichen, weil er unmöglich jedem der ihm Briefe, Karten, Geschenke geschickt hat, persönlich antworten kann.

Liebe Ivy,

ich habe ein schönes Bäumchen, welches an Michaels Jackson's "Giving Tree" erinnert, von Michael Jackson Fans aus Rußland und der Ukraine erhalten. Es paßt gut zu der enormen "Congratulations" Karte, die von Jenna Pal, die in dem größten Umschlag ankam, den ich je gesehen habe. Ich habe auch sehr viele Dankesbriefe von Michael Jackson Fans erhalten, die ich unmöglich alle persönlich beantworten kann.

Ich kann Dir nicht sagen, wie viel es mir bedeutet, solche freundlichen und gedankenvolle Worte des Dankes von Michael Jackson Fans zu erhalten. Ich weiß nicht, wie ich sie erreichen kann um meine Dankbarkeit auszudrücken. Ich hoffe, Du kannst meine Zeilen so veröffentlichen, daß sie sie erreichen.

Grüße
    Steve

P.S.: Mein Englisch ist auch nicht überragend, deshalb mit Vorbehalt. :schwitz

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!