Berichte von Leuten, die mit Michael Jackson im Studio gearbeitet haben!

• Interview von Chris Yandek (CY) mit Cory Rooney (CR) und Chris Apostle (CA) die mit Michael viele Jahre zusammen im Studio arbeiteten.

Michael Jackson has entertained the world, with his voice and moves, since age six. His recent death has provoked many questions. More than anything, people around the world want to know why the King of Pop suddenly passed on.

In 1979, Michael released Off The Wall through Epic Records – a division of Sony. The album received critical acclaim, while selling over 20 million copies and netting Jackson Grammys for the first time since the early 70s.

Three years later, the Gloved One would release the most popular album in music history, Thriller. His singing, dancing and performance generalship was unlike anything the world had ever seen, leaving an indelible mark on the music video genre.

In 1993, music executive Chris Apostle began his stint as Vice President of Special Recording Projects at Sony Music Entertainment. He would become better known as Tommy Mottola’s – the company’s topper and a music industry legend – right hand man, working with everyone from Mariah Carey to Jennifer Lopez to Marc Anthony.
    Chris Apostle

Chris Apostle

For the last 20 years, Apostle has been friends with producer/songwriter Cory Rooney. In 1998, Mottola named Rooney Epic’s Vice President of A&R. VH1 has called Rooney the best kept secret in the music industry. He has written and produced for artists including Jennifer Lopez, Mary J Blige, and Destiny’s Child among others. During his time at Epic, Cory became friends with Michael Jackson.

While working on music with Michael, Rooney had an opportunity to see a side of Jackson few ever did. For example, in one telling conversation in 2001, Jackson told Rooney that he was done touring and if he ever toured again it would kill him.

Among other things, Cory shares that Michael was easy to work with – contrary to how the media portrayed him. Rooney relates one instance when Michael apologized for being late to a studio session by sending a gift basket with over 100 DVDs and a note that read, “I’m very sorry for not respecting your time.”

Rooney was not surprised when Jackson lashed out at then Sony head Tommy Mottola in 2002. He says Michael felt nobody was in his corner, that he wasn’t getting the love and respect he deserved. Apostle clarifies that stars at that level are often under extraordinary pressure and may say things in the heat of the moment. Both men were major players during pop music’s peak.

Most importantly, Rooney and Apostle hope people remember Michael Jackson’s contributions to music and as Apostle says, recognize the musicologist he was.

Listen to the Cory Rooney and Chris Apostle interview:

Browse CYInterview.com while you listen – Click here

Chris Yandek: Cory, you had a chance to work with Michael, you wrote and produced some songs with him. What was your relationship like with him?

Cory Rooney: “It’s funny, someone asked me this the other day and I said, ‘I waited all my life and my career pretty much to finally get a chance to work with Michael, be recognized, to have my talent recognized by Michael.’ When it came time finally for us to get in the studio, we spent almost a month of just talking and he was educating me on like so many different things. We barely got a lot of music done. It was a completely different experience than I thought it was going to be.”

CY: Kind of like almost an utter distraction, not getting work done and talking about a bunch of other things?

CR: “Yeah. Then the relationship quickly turned into me being an executive at the time. I think I felt like my strengths for him at the time more so than being a writer or producer, but to be his inside man at the time because it was weird. He felt like at the time at Sony that he didn’t really have any allies or anyone that was going to be in his corner.”

CY: Really?

CR: “It was amazing! I quickly became his number one ally at the company.”

CY: So what did you learn from him in that time that you became his ally? Like who he was? It just seems like there were always people trying to leach off of him and telling him to do one thing or another. It seemed like he didn’t at some point have control of his life, am I right?

CR: “Yeah. I mean that’s the – you hit it on the head. I mean, it was to the point. The first thing that I started to learn about him is that he’s always so eager to please. He was so eager to please that he kinda over thought a lot of things. It’s like he would have an album done and I would listen to all this music and say, ‘Michael, this is unbelievable!’ [Michael]: ‘Yeah, but I don’t think it’s ready yet’ Because he’s got a million people in his ear telling him different things in different directions. He was easily led in all sorts of directions by people and I was amazed by the fact that he was so easily led.”

CY: Chris, I have to say for more than a decade there you were a major player at Sony Music Entertainment. What were your dealings with Michael and what did you learn about him while he was with Sony?

Chris Apostle: “Well, my dealings unlike Cory were very limited. The actual time I spent with him was just a couple of days. He was doing a mix of a track with Jay Z and Jay Z had already become quite a player in the business. I just remember walking in the studio before Michael had gotten there and Jay Z was working on lyrics for what he was going to do and I just remember that Jay Z almost was, I never saw him so humble. He was almost a little bit nervously excited that he was working with Michael Jackson. That left a lasting impression to me.
    I’m older than Cory and I grew up with Michael since he began. The thing that I learned on the inside from the Sony side was most people, the executives like Cory was saying, giving him direction, all these ideas, what he should do and shouldn’t do, the thing that I think was most forgotten about Michael and what he did was Michael was always working on music. You hear all the other stuff going on and everything, but it’s funny you watch like a recent interview, that Martin Bashir thing and Martin was saying, ‘Well, it’s good you’re working on music again.’ And it was extremely poignant when he said, ‘I’ve always been working on music.’ What do you think Cory? He probably has a couple hundred tracks sitting in the tank somewhere.”

CY: There was a news report that I read an article the other day and he has 200 unpublished songs that are left to his children that they can profit off and it’s valued at somewhere near 60 million dollars Chris.

CR: “Right. I think that was kind of the old Motown way. Stevie Wonder has over 2000 songs that he’s stored and put away for the same purpose. True. Michael was always working on music. Always…always working on music. Like I said, he was never really satisfied with himself.”

CY: The comments he made about Tommy Mottola many years ago, the comments he wasn’t happy with the album he released back in 2002. It was 30 million dollars that was put behind it, but were you surprised when he made those very candid comments calling Tommy Mottola a bunch of different things?

CR: “I was not surprised. Like I said, he didn’t really feel like he had people in his corner at the record company. For the most part, I don’t think people really showed him the love and respect that they should’ve been showing him at the record company. True, they may have spent 30 million dollars on the record, but at the same time the business affairs on that record was set up to the point where Michael couldn’t win if he wanted win. You understand?”

CY: Yeah.

CR: “They set it up and they put such a high marker on the record in terms of his recoupment and things like that. It was kind of a lose…lose situation. And they did that like to dangle a carrot and say ok, we want you to do the whole thing. We want you to sell records. We want you to tour. They thought that he was going to go running after the carrots saying, ‘Man, I gotta do all this so I can recoup.’

CY: Chris, thoughts?

CA: “A powerful artist like Michael, he’s not the first artist that has ever decided when he’s not comfortable at his home, the label to sit there and decides he’s going to take some shots and say his piece. When artists at his level aren’t comfortable they say things. Someone like him, who only dealt with the top level – Japan and Mottola and stuff like that, he came out and said he’s fine. I’m sure the frustration level was out of control. There is a lot of circumstances that pushed him to that point.

The thing that I’m so brutally offended about and it’s only a rumor, but it’s something I really believe, but I really think he got blackmailed in that whole scandal thing. I think at some point the truth will come out. This man gave people millions and millions of dollars to philanthropic stuff. Never comes out what he did. I think his reactions were natural and I’m sure he was getting pushed. If you look at the quality of his work Chris, go back to Off The Wall, which is my favorite Michael Jackson record. But every single record, I don’t care if you go to Dangerous, any single one, these records are perfect, blue book standard records, nothing but hits.

Cory and I sat in an office at Sony once and watched a concert, a live DVD. A colleague of ours Ron Grant called us in and said, ‘You guys want to watch something?’ And we’re figuring alright, middle of day, we’ll watch something for five to ten minutes. It was unedited, two and a half hours from a stadium at Brazil. He never stopped working for two and a half hours. The point that I would love to make about him is that he’s not getting enough play for what he has contributed to the world musically. He’s probably, arguably the greatest musician we’ll ever see in our lifetime. You’ll never see anything like this again. That has to be discussed and mentioned.”

CY: How will the music industry be affected going forward now?

CR: “I don’t really think the music industry has taken a deep enough look at what Michael Jackson meant to everybody, all of us artists, producers, actors, actresses, all of us, entertainment as a whole. I don’t think that they took a deep enough look because everyone is too busy with their head up their own butt. When Michael was on trial, nobody…nobody stopped to go and support him at the trial.”

CA: “Yup.”

CR: “The guy is acquitted on ten counts of child molestation. No one said, ‘Sorry Michael.’ No one said, ‘Michael, we knew you were innocent.’ No one did a BET tribute to him then. Nobody played his music and did a marathon then. Nobody rallied up and did a concert. Why should Michael have to go on tour to raise money? How come all of the artists didn’t band together and say, ‘Hey! You know what? Let’s do a tour like Michael did the We Are The World Tour and let’s raise some money. Let’s get this thing going.’ No one did that. Tookie Williams is the founder of the crips gang. You know the crips and the bloods?”

CY: Yes.

CR: “They were trying to get him pardoned from the death penalty and half of Hollywood showed up for this man. What I can’t understand is like, ok people didn’t want to go near Michael Jackson when he was in trouble.”

CY: But they show up for a murder.

CR: “But they show up for a guy who executed families. A little girl begged for her life and he executed her. They said because he wrote in his time in prison he wrote children’s books that he tried to turn his life around. He was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. Well, how about the millions of children Michael Jackson has helped over the span of his career? Yet two children come with some false allegations and those two children become the two children that destroy him. It’s crazy. It makes me look at the entertainment business and just say I’m surrounded by a bunch of hypocrites.

When you ask me how would it affect them? I don’t even think they realize what this is. Everyone’s gonna do their tributes, but the tributes now if you look at it, it’s all because now everyone is going to get some spotlight, they’re gonna get some shine. Now all of the sudden everyone wants to say something good about him.”

CY: Everyone wants to be relevant.

CR: “Everyone wants to be relevant and that sucks to me.”

CY: After ‘93, should he have known better going on the Martin Bashir Documentary Living with Michael Jackson and saying it’s ok to share your bed with a child? Don’t you think most people are going to say in some senses well, he kind of set himself up for that?

CR: “Let me explain to you what was said to me directly from Michael. Michael and I spoke about that. He said, ‘Cory, when I was a kid, I was denied not only a childhood but I was denied love. When I reached out to hug my father, he didn’t hug me back. When I was scared on an airplane, he didn’t put his arm around me and say Michael, don’t worry. It’s going to be ok. When I was scared to go on stage, he said, ‘Get your ass on this stage.’ Not just him, but every other adult around him.
    So he said to me ‘Cory, I will never deny a child love and if it means that I have to be crucified or put in jail for it, then that’s just what they’re gonna have to do.’ When it was time for him to stand trial, the first time he went through it, his advisors told him, ‘Michael, this is not good. Pay this kid off and let’s keep moving.’ Second time he said, ‘You know what? All that did was make me look guilty like I was hiding something. So this time there won’t be any payoffs. I’m going to fight this in court. You’ll see. I’ll be innocent.’

Right to the day when they finally had to read the verdict and the verdict was in, I talked to his family cause I remember watching on the news that Michael had 45 minutes to get there. So I spoke to some of his family members that were in the house with Michael. I said, ‘Well, what the hell is he doing?’ He’s upstairs getting dressed. He came downstairs. He said a prayer with his family and he told everyone, ‘I want you guys not to worry about me because I will be ok.’
    And he rode there, he had maybe a little nervous energy patting his feet, singing in the car and everything and he rode with his brother and his sister. But he wasn’t worried. I’ll tell you something, I would’ve been a mess. I don’t even know if I could have stood up in court like that.”

CY: Chris, any thoughts on any of this?

CA: “When I watched the Bashir thing last night, I just wanted to see what it was all about and reflect on it. When Martin asked him about the first incident where he paid off these accusers, I found it very ironic and I look unbelievably sincere and honest the way he said, ‘I just decided I wanted it to go away.’ And he made it go away, which by the way again, not the first person to do this in the history of our business. He wanted to make it go away. The second time he fought.
    But what Cory was saying going back to his childhood and stuff like that, he was reflecting on the fact that he had acne as a kid, which we all gone through at one phase of our life and how his pap would always sit there and make fun of his acne and his skin condition. You’re talking about a young kid here who never had the chance to grow up and be normal. Kid grew up very differently than a lot of people. Granted he’s Michael Jackson, but there is a lot of reasons why he had certain insecurities. As for his bit with the second thing, I believe a thousand percent, I’ll go to my grave with it that he was innocent completely. He was being blackmailed by that gentleman that wanted to be a screenwriter or write books or do movies, whatever. That was inside information that’s close around enough that I can say it.”

CR: “The Martin Bashir thing, I don’t think people remember that a week later or maybe a few weeks later, Michael himself re-aired his own version of that show.”

CY: And he had the whole thing because he was smart enough to video camera.

CR: “He was smart enough to video camera it and it clearly showed that the guy just twisted everything and made it, he turned everything into a false or a lie. They ask Michael a question. Are you gay? And Michael said, ‘I don’t want to answer that question.’ Now that was the one that he said. So it quickly edited to Bashir going, ‘Obviously he didn’t want to answer for obvious reasons.’

So then when Michael showed his version, he said, ‘Are you gay?’ Michael said, ‘I don’t want to answer that question.’ Then he said, ‘But if you turn your camera off, I will answer your question.’ Then the guy said ok, turn the camera off. Then Michael said, ‘No. Absolutely not. I am not gay, but I have millions of gay fans and if they believe I’m gay, then let them believe I’m gay.’ He said, ‘I don’t care. I don’t want to offend anybody.’ You know?”

CA: “I gotta say something here, I can’t believe at this point that these are even issues that are being discussed.”

CR: “Yeah. I mean this is crazy.”

CA: “Anything about what this man contributed to the world and I have a very good friend that Cory doesn’t know that we know that was working on this tour with him, someone that worked with Cory with another diva in our lifetime and he said, ‘He was looking better than ever.’ He was struggling cause it was a long hard show, but this was going on. He canceled a couple of shows, fine. This guy had 50 shows lined up.

This was going. They were in Staples Center, full production. You’re talking about a multi, multi million dollar show. This was going. This poor kid goes home the night before and says he doesn’t feel well and the next day he’s taken from us. I’ll use a word that Cory used, probably the most devastating thing I’ve ever had to deal with in my life. I feel like my right one has been taken from me. People have to pay a little bit attention to what he contributed to the world and stop with all the Whacko ***** stuff.”

CR: “But they won’t because that’s what they like better.”

CA: “Liza was very cool. I watched her the other night.”

CY: Yeah. I watched her on Larry King.

CA: “She sits there and says stop and she was talking to Larry King. She said stop, come on, let’s celebrate for a little while. The stuff will come out, people will start flipping, you’ll start hearing stuff, the books will start. Sony’s pressing records. I’m sure they got four plants going right now repressing all his records. I’m sorry. I’m just, I’ll let Cory take the floor here, I’m devastated by this. I’m sad. I’ve been very emotional and I’m going to go to my farmhouse this weekend where Cory, I have all the original vinyl and I’m pulling them all out. Someone has got to talk about what this man contributed and cut the crap.”

CY: A lot of people say that maybe he wasn’t the same after the second trial in 2005 and things kind of went downhill, went through all these personal issues and of course there were the rumored health issues in the recent years. Any thoughts or any knowledge of those situations?

CR: “I know for a fact he had health issues. That’s number one. Michael Jackson had other health issues that never were discussed like what is called dancer’s feet. Dancer’s feet is when your feet over years of dancing, a dancer wraps their feet to dance. You wrap them in tape and things like that. But of course because you don’t get enough oxygen skin dries up. Your skin starts to crack and splint, almost like paper cuts and Michael suffered bad with that.
    What would happen is sometimes it be so bad he’d have to wrap his feet in a cast. That’s why sometimes you would see him with a cast on. The pains of that was excruciating. And yeah, was he on the painkillers for that? Yeah. I’m sure he was. I never physically seen him take a pill or a painkiller, but I’ve definitely spoken to him about it. Now whatever the autopsy shows, whatever the true factor on how this man has gone from here becomes it’s all still a result of what this business has done to him period. It’s all a result of what the business did to him.”

CY: Fair to say that the business because he had all the financial issues that he was kind of pushed into a corner? He said he wanted to do 10 shows, but then it became 50 for this thing in London that was supposed to happen next month. Did he feel like he was backed in a corner because he had to fulfill financial issues?

CA: “Listen, I’m sure he decided to do this comeback tour and net a bunch of cash, which he honestly deserves to have. I still think that like Cory said, he was pushed to the brink by people that were extremely powerful and he was not treated fairly. We always started in this business and someone Cory and I knew very well said, ‘You can’t do anything in this business without the artist even if the artist are what you considered to be the worst thing in the world and stuff like that. You still need the artist.’ Well, it seems to me the big cheeses in the business forgot that at some point where he was concerned.”

CR: “This was years ago. I’m going to go back probably eight years ago and Michael told me, ‘Cory, I can’t tour anymore. I’m not gonna tour anymore. Ok?’ I said, ‘why Mike?’ He said, ‘Because it will kill me.’ That’s what he said to me. He said, ‘It will kill me.’ Why would you say something like that? He said, ‘Well, remember when I was preparing for my concert and I passed out at the Sony Studio?’ He said, ‘Well, it’s because when I get ready for a tour I get dehydrated. I don’t eat. I don’t drink. I don’t sleep. I put so much of myself into preparing for a tour.’

He said, ‘I’m not doing it on purpose. This is just something I don’t think about anymore. You understand? I’ve just become so driven that I can’t even think about these things anymore. They made me walk around with an IV last time. He said, ‘So I just decided, my doctors decided that maybe you shouldn’t do this anymore. He said he wanted to make the Invincible album work to the point where that was it. He’s done with the tour. He’s gonna do this Invincible album. He wanted to continue to put out albums. He said, ‘I’ll do albums till I can’t do it anymore, but I just can’t tour.’”

CY: Is it fair to say the downfall of Michael Jackson were people who were greedy and obviously wanted the 85 million dollars that the ticket sales had sold for the thing over in London for example? Is it fair to say that greed got the best of him and other people that were forced into a situation?

CR: “I wouldn’t call it greed. I just don’t think he had a choice. I think financially, sometimes we all do what we have to do. It’s the same reason that a boxer like Joe Lewis would go in after he was long into retirement. Joe Lewis still got in the ring and had to fight cause he had no money. I’m not saying Michael didn’t have any money.”

CY: But he owed 400 million dollars.

CR: “But he did have debt. He definitely had debt. Ok, when you got debt and you got people hawking you down and doing all this stuff, ok Michael, one more tour and let’s clean up this debt. Ok, well you know what? The person that he is, the entertainer he is, well let’s get to work.”

CY: It’s a surprise to many, but at the same time is it one of these great tragedies we’re gonna look back upon and say he had all the highs but he had all the lows also?

CR: “I would say my deepest prayer to ask God to just give this man peace and hope that his legacy lives on and it’s untainted with all the bullshit if I can say. But I’m afraid that forever it’s always going to be a problem. Just like there is always all kinds of crazy things said about whatever, Elvis Presley.”

CY: How he died.

CR: “How he died.”

CY: The conspiracy theories.

CR: “A conspiracy theory. How did Bruce Lee die? How did Marilyn Monroe die? You know what I’m saying? Michael’s not comparable to these people. I would say Elvis Presley is the closest you’ll get to that. It had to be in Elvis Presley’s career even from Michael to stand on those shoulders and move beyond that. I’m not gonna discredit Elvis Presley, but they’re two different people. Michael, as far as I’m concerned, surpassed Elvis and everything that Elvis was about a long time ago.

And he stood for something different. No one talks about when he did the Victory tour, I remember as a kid Michael being on tour with the Victory tour right? And every night on the news they would announce that Michael Jackson donated his money from every city that he did, he donated it to a new charity. He donated his money from the Victory tour to charities. I thought that was amazing. I’m like, wow! This guys donating millions of dollars every night to a new charity. Then he would stop in every city and every city he would stop at a hospital and visit kids that were burned, ill or whatever. He took the time to do all that.”

CY: Chris, any thoughts?

CR: Two things. Comparing the Elvis Michael comparisons are obvious considering what they were to the American culture and actually the world culture. Differences, Elvis I believe died at 42. And Elvis, the most money he’s ever made was after he died, far more than while he was alive. Go back to the highs and the lows, all artists have highs and lows. Most of the lows are generally contributed to the lack of creativity, the skill diminishes, the body goes, etc…etc. Michael had the highest of highs and if you remember the highest of highs, there’s never gonna be anything like that in our life.

Number one, the albums were brilliant. The performances were brilliant. He was brilliant. He was an icon, probably the most famous person in the world. I think his lows weren’t totally attributed to creative decline. I think the lows were forced upon him and he was put into caves and holes and by people doing things to him. That to me is really sad. Artists get old like athletes. They change.

They go on different tours. They start playing the casinos. They start picking up the city festivals, the package tours, etc. This guy was forced, he was forced to go lower than an artist should ever have to go. It wasn’t because of lack of skill. Something about Michael that people don’t realize is I would call him a musicologist. This guy knew every song, ever recording, every studio, the whole Sun Studios thing, Memphis, Motown, New York, LA, everywhere. He knew everything. The musicians. The instruments. The mics. No one talks about this. No one discusses this and it’s unbelievable. And by the way, unlike Elvis, this guy was doing it still for 43 years. 43 years Chris. My God man.”

CY: I think looking at this whole industry and the way things have been moving forward now and it’s more about the name value as you like to call it the bonafide musical talent. Is the music industry crumbling? There’s talents out there that are going to do well always, but is it crumbling in a sense that we don’t have these huge identities, these larger than life figures anymore? It’s just kind of one act after another.

CR: “I feel like because of the newfound independence that the internet has given us all. I think we’re in kind of like in a whole new revamping stage.”

CY: A transitional stage.

CR: “Well, I always say it’s a transitional stage sure. But when I say revamping or I would say an incubating stage because right now we’re about to witness the rebirth of real music. That’s because there was a time when you can have an Earth, Wind, and Fire like or Michael Jackson like Off the Wall sounding record that someone worked their ass off for independently and it sounds good. A record company wouldn’t even give it the chance because if it didn’t sound like Chris Brown or Rihanna that’s not what they were looking for.
    Now independently when that becomes the most played thing on the internet and people have no choice but to role with it, record companies start to get behind it. We’ll be back to people not being pigeon held or feeling like they have to follow suit or what’s going on just going on just to get a deal.”

CY: Chris, your thoughts?

CA: “It’s been a longer transition than most people would expect. The industry is not dying. And if you look at certain aspects of it, Live Nation is having their biggest years now with the touring industry with the 360 deals it’s obviously different for artists, labels, etc. The labels, you used to have creative people working under the executives and labels, but now you have the executives maintaining their salaries by making sure they have no staff. I went to see a group tonight in New York, a kid that’s showing up all over the place. Every label was there. It was all low level people with no signing power. It’s different. They can’t sign bands. They can sign one band at a time.

As for the internet and stuff like that, I have an opinion about the fact that all the genius that we all profess to myself, Cory, and everyone that we worked with five to six years ago this industry suddenly decided that I liken to it like this. Trying to sell the public – remember the car the Hugo? ”

CY: Yes.

CR: “Yea.”

CA: “Sitting there saying, ‘You know what? We’ve come up with this great car. It’s a Hugo.’ And people are like, oh wait, I’ve heard there is this really cool car out of Germany called a Mercedes, no…no…no, you want to have the Hugo. But wait, I hear BMW makes a pretty good car, I hear Chevrolet, Escalade is really hot, whatever. No…no….no, you want the Hugo.

The industry that we worked in that came up with all these huge artists Michael included, the U2s, the Bruce Springsteen’s, the Dylans suddenly decided, you know what? We’re gonna give you Lindsay Lohan. We’re gonna give you Paris Hilton. We’re gonna give you Kelly Osbourne. And the public sat there and said, ‘This is the best you have to offer? I’m not paying $17.99 for this. To hell with this, I’ll steal one song off the internet.

And the labels were slow to come to form realizing it was changing and now they’re getting screwed because of it. Fans are doing it independently Chris. They’re doing it differently. If you notice the live concert situation, the records that sell, if you look at the top 40 SoundScan you’ll probably see five country artists, five Disney artists, two or three older artists, live people listen to Bruce Springsteen, U2. Why do you think quote on quote country Keith Urban is so popular? It’s not that people like country and Keith Urban is definitely not country, it’s a singer-songwriter. They want to hear songs. Talking about Michael, he made songs. The bands that last for a record, they don’t have songs. They don’t have staying power.

When you’re 21 years old, I always ask people, name five artists under the age of 20 that were truly geniuses? And they sit there and ponder everything. I sit there and say ok, I’ll give you a few, Stevie Wonder, Prince, Michael Jackson, a Mariah Carey that was truly legitimate at that time in her career and there is one or two others, but you see where I’m going with this. Now you have every band out that is 20 year olds and they can’t play.”

CR: “Being the producer, what you find is, see, I grew up in my household when I was a kid, the Isley Brothers would be in my living room rehearsing with my dad. My dad was a producer as well. I grew up and I couldn’t wait to get in the business and kind of do it that way. And then all of a sudden I got in the business and I found well Cory, that’s kinda like too much. People don’t want to hear the live band thing and the live instrument thing. So all of a sudden I had to teach myself, force myself how to make music based on eight bar loops and write things repeat around, repetition.”

CY: You felt like you were dumbing yourself down.

CR: “I had to dumb myself because when I first started producing, I was producing strictly to make some money to take care of my family. So I had to follow suit. I was never ever…ever happy. I got very happy when I got the chance to work with the Mariah Carey or a Michael Jackson or someone like that because I knew I could be me. There’s been artists that will remain nameless that it’s like I’ve had to just sit there and just do it basically because it’s for a check and not for love.”

CA: “You also grew up surrounded by monster players.”

CR: “Oh absolutely.”

CA: “Chris, Cory never mentions this and he’ll never mention it, one of the things I’m most impressed by musically is I’ll go to his house and he’ll sit at the piano without the musical training and I came from the classical training. Cory can sit down and play the whole Stevie Wonder book note for note.”

CR: “But you know what’s crazy? When I was a kid, I remember seeing the guy walk down the street like with a base guitar on his back or I remember seeing a guy carrying like in his car like he’s got his drums or this and I was fascinated like wow! This guy’s a musician. Now, a guy walks out with a base on his back, walk in studio sessions and someone will laugh at him. Like, where the hell you going to? What is this? A parade? What are you doing? They don’t get it. A horn player, like they don’t exist anymore.”

CA: “Oh, you can’t make a living.”

CR: “Yeah. I feel like now that the internet is what it is. It’s ok to make those records because now they’ll get past those gates that where people go, oh, I’m sorry. We don’t allow that music here. Now it’s gonna go past that right over their heads and be out there and all of a sudden you’re gonna start hearing music that sounds so organic, so good, so stimulating that it’s going to go right back where it needs to be.”

CA: “Here is a good one for you guys. You both know Steve Lukather, the guy that played most of the guitar on all of Michael’s records. He was the leader of the Toto, etc. His son is 19 years old. This kid grew up in Los Angeles four houses down from Eddie Van Halen. His father did every record from Boz Scaggs to Michael Jackson to Lionel Ritchie. You name it his dad has played on them. This kid is the most brilliant prodigy, rock and roll guitar player in the world today. He can’t get arrested. He can’t get arrested. I would put him up against anyone and people hear him and they’re horrified, he can’t get arrested.”

CR: “Yeah. I know. It’s disgusting.”

CA: “But the players, listen it’s changing yes, but fine. The industry sold 1.3 billion records last year instead of 1.5.”

CR: “It’s all a hoax. I just want you to know that if you really do some research and look at the statistics on the amount of records sold in the industry now versus over the last 20 years, we’re only down by like a few million records. It’s like 10 percent. It’s nothing crazy. Nothing crazy. All of that internet nonsense is just a hoax because the record companies, the majors always felt like, ‘Wait a minute. If we don’t start to put the word out and keep people off the internet, we’re going to lose ground here.”

CA: “Oh I got blasted at Sony once and I’ll say this. I made a suggestion once we should allow every new artist to have their first single downloaded as many times as we want, the fans want for free. ‘So, well, you don’t want to work here very long.’ I said, no. I do. He said, ‘Well, our publishing division isn’t going to like that and neither are the artists.’ I said, you know what? Maybe you’ll get three out of five.
    Maybe you’ll get two out of three that love the artist, want to buy the single and do this, but this was after talking to my niece who’s like 13 at the time. I said, ‘What record store do you go to?’ She goes, ‘Record store?’ Well, there is a Coconuts around there. A Sam Goody’s still in that time. She goes, ‘I haven’t been to a record store in three years.’ I said, ‘You got 100 CDs in your room.’ ‘I get them off the computer.’

CY: Because she’s buying it from Amazon.com.

CR: “That’s what’s happening. Amazon.com, Itunes, whatever. I’m telling you, music is going to get really good now. It’s gonna get interesting. It’s gonna get good and everyone is going to see because I don’t know if you got a chance to see what BET tried to do the other night.”

CY: It was horrible. It was a train wreck.

CR: “It was a train wreck. It was horrible. It just made no sense. Let me tell you the shame of it all. The best performance of it that night was The O’Jays and they’re old guys but they just bring the truth. Everything else is just garbage.”

CY: The Beatles, The Supremes, those are acts that are part of music history. And you look at the acts today and you’re gonna say to yourself, how many of these acts are we really going to remember in 50 years?

CR: “No one’s special right now. The O’Jays were special. The Beatles were special. Why were they special? Because they sat down and worked on being special. The combination of John Lennon and Paul McCartney writing and I don’t know if you ever pay attention to the fact that they always were kind of like opposite or contrary of each other. That’s what made it crazy. It was brilliant.”

CY: And now everybody just wants to go make a record, collect a paycheck, and go home.

CR: “Oh yeah. Eight bars and everyone has the audacity to say that Chris Brown is the next Michael Jackson.”

CY: Are you freaking kidding me?

CA: “But they’re serious.”

CY: I know, but I’m saying are you freaking kidding me? They might be serious, but are you freaking kidding me?

CR: “That’s the way I felt about it. I really can get into this whole thing and go crazy about it, but I said to myself for years ok. There’s times when I try and be different, but there’s other times where I sit there in the studio and say I cannot believe that I’m working with this person and this is what it is. And they all have the nerve to have attitudes.

Then you work with a guy like Michael Jackson who when he was late, he was supposed to be in the studio at twelve and he showed up about quarter to one. He felt so terrible for being late he apologized the whole session. The next day he sent a big giant basket because we’re talking about movies and that how much I love movies. So he sent me this giant basket.”

CY: With all these different movies in it.

CR: “Oh my goodness, it probably had 100 DVDs. It had popcorn, candy, all kinds of books and movie trivia, all kinds of stuff. Again the card said, ‘I’m very sorry for not respecting your time.’”

CY: It’s the thought that counts. Absolutely!

CR: “Right. I would say Mike, what time do you want to start tomorrow? He said, ‘Cory, you’re the boss. You tell me what time. If you want me here seven in the morning, I will be here at seven in the morning.’ He said, ‘You are the boss. Whatever you tell me.’

CY: What I find interesting about those comments is the way the mainstream media projects it is that he wanted to always do things his way.

CR: “Not at all, not at all. That’s what I said. It’s like if the world would just stop and just really pay attention.”

CA: “Stepping back a minute and talking about what’s out there now is I’m horrified to think of the Michael Jackson tributes that’s gonna come out. I’m horrified to think of what his family may attempt to put out. I’m horrified to think of what records the labels are gonna attempt to put together.”

CR: “The one thing that I’m looking forward to coming out is Michael had been sitting on all of the footage of the Victory Tour because he owns all of the footage of the Victory tour. I used to beg him all the time please. As a matter of fact, I do have a DVD unedited. It’s the straight footage for you.”

CA: “Maybe Cory will play it for you some time.”

CY: Or he’ll let me borrow it and I’ll promise I’ll return it later.

CR: “It’s amazing. The guy did not lip synch. His voice sounded so amazing. It’s ridiculous. He did all the dancing. He did all the stuff like that. It’s just that he conditioned himself to be able to do that.”

CA: “Only one artist that I’ve ever seen and it’s an entirely different animal that I’ve ever seen two plus hours on stage and Michael usually went two and a half. At least that one concert we watched was close to two and a half in Brazil, the only one that’s close to that and pulled it off single handedly and did all the work, Bruce Springsteen. He never stopped.

He never leaves the stage. When Michael was leaving the stage it was for one minute to change his clothes and it was a real one minute. It wasn’t the ten minutes. It was the 12 beauty police in there. He was back on. By the way, has anybody bothered speaking of dancers’ feet? Has anybody bothered to look how this kid danced? Who idolized Michael Jackson? Fred Astaire. I mean come on.”

CR: “It’s so many stories. It’s so many things. Michael, he loved to sit and tell stories. He loved to talk…talk…talk about everything. Every time he came to like a city or something I remember he wanted to go to the bookstore. They closed the bookstore down. He’d go to get books. He’d read. He’d educate me on Africa and how beautiful Africa is. He said, ‘You know, people don’t want you to know how beautiful Africa is because they’re over there robbing it of all its riches.’ But he said, ‘It’s the most beautiful place I’ve ever been in my life.’ He brought me pictures. It’s just amazing. Remember Chris, David Blaine buried himself alive?”

CA: “Yeah. Sure. He used to hang out on our floor at Sony. You don’t remember, but he used to hang out up there around the time your friend 50 Cent was running getting us coffee.”

CY: This is a very random story, but continue.

CR: “So David Blaine buried himself alive in the city over by the Trump building.”

CY: Trump National Towers.

CR: “Right. When I told Michael that was going on, he was like, ‘You gotta be kidding?’ I said, I’m telling you. He didn’t even know who David Blaine was. I started like sending for like video footage and everything because we didn’t have YouTube then. I started sending for footage to explain to him who David Blaine was. He was so fascinated. We got in a van that night and we went to see David Blaine late at night. We went over there.

We jumped out the van and he like a kinda partial disguise and no one really knew it was him. He jumped out and walked right over there and we sat there and he was fascinated by it. It was funny. Then we were laughing because sometimes he said, ‘You know what? Half the time someone is going to think it’s an impersonator and not me anyway. Sometimes I can just jump out.”

CY: You seem to have had a lot of personal conversations with him, but did you ever talk with about the plastic surgery?

CR: “Yup.”

CY: And what did he tell you?

CR: “He said, ‘What’s the difference in me and Sylvester Stallone and anybody else in Hollywood?’ He said, ‘So what?’ He said, ‘My skin disease, I don’t want to be white.’ He said, ‘That’s not what I’m trying to do.’ He said, ‘But I couldn’t help my skin disease.’ He said, ‘I did try a surgery to even it all out and do things like that that did not turn out the way I wanted it to turn out, but that’s not the reason I turned into a light skinned black man.’ As far as my nose he said, ‘I hated my nose just like Sylvester Stallone hated his.’”

CA: “Look what he said his father told him.’

CR: “Yeah. He said, ‘I hated my chin. I hated my nose.’ He said, ‘And so what?’ He said, ‘Why is it just me?’ He said, ‘Why is it just me?’ He said, ‘I can show you 20 people in Hollywood that’s got nose jobs, lip jobs, botox, all kinds of stuff.’”

CY: Is there anything else you’d like to share?

CA: “The only thing I want to share, my uncle used to be real close friends with Bill Cosby. In the late 60s he handed me one of the first records I ever had. I think the first record I ever had was The Monkeys. He handed me a Michael Jackson Bill Cosby record that they did. I still have it. It’s kind of like a yellow submarine with a beautiful booklet inside. One of the most cherished possessions I have and I can’t wait to see it on Saturday.

On my thoughts with Michael Jackson regarding anything else, I just hope that the landslide is going to come out in the next couple of weeks. I hope that some people start discussing all the good that he did because if you weigh the good against the bad, he’s the most famous person in the world. It’s been on TV 24/7 for six days. That’s just my hope. God bless him and let him rest in peace and we’ll all see him someday later in our life and I’m sure he’ll be singing and dancing his ass off.”

CR: “As far as I’m concerned, actually Sunday I went to church and I spoke to my pastor at my church cause I wanted to be clear on something. I wanted to make sure that I’m not going to get attacked or get any trouble by expressing myself the way I’ve been expressing myself. I said, not to compare anyone to Christ because there is no comparison to Christ. If you just look at a second this world that we live in within God’s world which is called the entertainment world.”

CY: Yeah. Fair enough.

CR: “Michael, to me, I can only tell you to me and I’m sure I can get you dozens and dozens and dozens and hundreds of thousands of people who feel the same. Michael Jackson was like a Christ like figure for us. To know that this man over the last 15 years has been torn down, crucified, slandered, badmouthed, everyone would rather talk about something negative like he wanted to buy the elephant man’s bones. So what? You know what? I would buy them too.”

CA: “Me too.”

CR: “I think it’s cool. I would do it too. But because it was him, they always had some negative instead of positive. My heart is completely broken. My inspiration, the light of inspiration that I once had from a kid is completely dim at this point for me. I don’t know because I was not one of the disciples or whatever that followed behind Christ and had to look at him being crucified and hung from a cross.

But I’m sure their hearts were just as broken as well and my heart is broken. Moving forward with this business, all I can say is that I’m happy that there is a time we live in where we can kinda do things independently and we don’t have to deal with the hypocrites as much, but we are surrounded by hypocrites in this business. It’s just a tragedy. I always wondered what it would be like if something God forbid happened to Michael. I don’t think I ever really wanted to feel it. I just always kind of wondered like my goodness, what would happen? Well, here we are. And so far everything that’s happened is pretty much exactly what I thought what was going to happen.”

CA: “Cory and I speak countless times every day. We have basically for the last 20 years.”

CY: I can tell.

CA: “When this happened as I was emailing Cory and at one moment I got his wife on the phone but that was it. I didn’t hear from Cory for three days. Emails, phone calls, no answer. I knew that he was mourning and I was distraught about this.”

CR: “Because I cried for three days.”

CA: “He called me up Monday morning and I think it’s a very appropriate quote here, ‘Ok, it’s Monday. We gotta go back to work because Michael would’ve gone back to work.’”

CR: “And that’s the truth.”

CA: “Very poignant to me.”

CR: “Michael would’ve gone back to work. Like I said, he took his bumps, he took his bruises. He was one of the toughest men I ever met, and that’s the truth. He was a rugged tough guy. There was nothing timid about Michael Jackson.”

CY: You’ve told me a different story that the mainstream media is totally not focused on. What you’re saying to me is the industry is not totally focusing on really how important this guy was as a whole?

CR: “Nope.”

CA: “Nope. Not even close.”

CR: “They’re not even scratching the surface.”

CY: As you know in this 24 hour news cycle, it’s about what I put out, how quickly do I put it out and who’s listening.

CR: “I think they go off the fact like everything else in the world. This news, it’s the very reason National Enquirer exists.”

CY: Still exists. I’m not sure if either of you heard, but Vibe Magazine for example folded today. With the tabloid outlets online, I would not be surprised if the National Enquirer would join that list. I don’t know if you guys know this, but they’ve been having financial issues in the last six months also. Regardless, it’s all going online.

CR: “Well, I believe that anyway and that’s what I said. You know what? It gives the freedom to people like yourself to be able do something right.”

CY: Yeah. Sure, on the record.

CR: “Instead of trying to follow suit to say the Enquirer, Star Magazine, they position them right like at that cash register when you go in and it says some crazy shit on the title on the cover. Michael Jackson sleeps in the hyperbaric chamber.”

CA: “No. It’s Obama’s gay last week.”

CR: “That’s what I’m saying, enough of that. I think they’re always going to opt for the lowest form instead of saying let’s do a head count and see how many children Michael Jackson changed their life or did anything. Here’s a last fact that no one ever touched on. Both the boys that allegedly accused Michael were both kids that were involved in or their parents were in prior scams or something like that.”

CY: I remember the recent one, she tried to get her kids to fall over like in JCPenney and sue for harmful injury or something like that.

CR: “Yeah and then they tried to do something with George Lopez. They tried to say that he stole their money out of the comedy store when they were at the comedy stores. He said they robbed one of their wallets and stole from them.”

CY: Looking back on that, it was mentioned for 10 seconds and that was mentioned once.

CR: “Because it’s not important to the public.”

CY: Cause it’s not somebody important to the public because they’re not somebody prominent who anyone’s going to care about. Who is the person again?

CA: “The media started this media frenzy, it started with OJ Simpson. It sagged into Bill Clinton. They basically beat the heck out of Bill Clinton. They went after George Bush who I did not like who I didn’t support, but they did a really good job on him. Now they’ll go after Michael Jackson and don’t kid yourself, in a year or two they’re going to go after my president also.”

CR: “Well, they went after Michael Jordan with the gambling.”

CY: He had gambling and infidelity and that’s nothing surprising, honestly anyways for the world of sports and entertainment. That’s their business.

CR: “They do stupid things. Kobe Bryant really fuck** up. He really fuck** up. You understand? But it destroyed him. Right away they ushered in, oh here comes king Lebron James.”

source:http://www.cyinterview.com/200…ustry-bigs-music-michael/

[CENTER]Michael Jackson sang, the world hoped.
    Michael Jackson danced, the world smiled.
    Michael Jackson laughed, the world laughed.
    Michael Jackson died, the world cried, but sang, danced, laughed because we know that's what he would've wanted.
    Michael Jackson was Michael Jackson, and always will be.
    ...We are all Michael Jackson when we cry, sing, dance and laugh...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"wer die Wahrheit sagt, braucht ein schnelles Pferd" (chin.sprichwort)[/CENTER]

• Teddy Riley talks about Dangerous album cuts 1992

Details can make all the difference. Check out Riley's arrangements on Michael Jackson's Dangerous. By keeping the beat straight-ahead, giving the snare extra pop, and leaving the bass out on "Why You Wanna Trip On Me," he brings Jackson's vocals out more than Quincy Jones did on some earlier cuts, and gives more exposure to the dotted eighth-note hi-hat pattern that essentially defines new jack swing. Though unmistakably a Michael Jackson performance, the uncluttered texture is also a Riley trademark, and thus passes this year's trendiness test.

Excerpts from the interview (questions in italics):

Do real string players still give you a quality that you can't get from samples?

I wouldn't say that. I have the sounds of life in my machines [laughs].

So why have real strings?

It was my idea to run with that and get some publicity on it. I like doing things where you can draw good publicity, like using real strings or playing guitar on Michael Jackson's stuff. I don't play guitar, really. I can do funky strums, but no solos.

What was your source for string sounds on Dangerous''

Well, on "In the Closet" the beginning is real violins, cellos, violas, and basses in a computer.

Those particular string parts follow the piano line pretty closely. Were they triggered from a MlDied piano?

They were done separately. I played the piano in real time, so we had to feel it out. I kept the first take that I did because it's real. That's how they would do it with a symphony orchestra, so the timing is real.

Were you playing a real piano?

It was a Bosendorfer. On top of it I had a layer of one soft sustained string playing at the same time. All the other stuff was recorded separately behind it.

So when you want a real piano, you go for a real piano.

Oh, yeah. I got one at home, a Yamaha Disclavier baby grand that my brother bought me for Christmas.

Is the Fairlight your main source for string sounds?

I don't usually tell anyone what I use, but the strings that I did for Michael were from the Fairlight and the [New England Digital] Synclavier. Sometimes you can get the best string parts from the smaller keyboards — something like the [E-mu] Proteus/1 and 2, or the [Ensoniq] VFX. I have a lot of key boards in my room that give me all the sounds I need. You just have to go through 'em to know what they can do. That's why I sleep here at the studio; I go through all my sounds. I had an Akai MPC-60 the first day it came out. I ordered the first one that came in to Sam Ash on 48th Street in New York.

Do you write at the piano?

Yeah, mostly. Then I put it all in the computer. That way, if I do the Michael Jackson tour and he wants all the sheet music for what we did, I have it later on down the line. It's good that I documented everything. I document everything that I record, from the time the song starts all the way to the end — the tempo, every part that's played, every program on every keyboard. You never know when you're going to want to come back up with the song. Suppose somebody asks you to do a song like something you did before? You're gonna want to go back to your sources and say, "What did I use on this song for the strings? For the horns?"

You seem to use completely different sets of instruments for your slow and your faster tunes.

Not really, but as I create a ballad I go into a different mode. I change all my sounds. I don't like using the same sound twice on an album. My floor plan is to make the whole carpet colorful.

But you also go for a certain kind of unity. Your snare sounds throughout Dangerous differ from cut to cut, yet there are similarities as well.

Yeah. They're all hot. My engineer and I always have our drums poppin'. We used a variety of drum machines, but we compressed all our snares to make 'em pop.

You reverse-gated the snare on "She Drives Me Wild" in a way that nicely anticipates and sets up the actual backbeat hits.

There are lots of elements on that song. In fact, the whole percussion track is motor sounds: trucks, cars starting, cars screeching, motorcycles idling, motorcycles revving, car horns. Even the bass is a car horn.

Where did you get those samples? I made them myself. You just took a DAT machine out to the parking lot?

We usually do that. We even sampled Michael's tiger. We got tiger sounds, lion sounds, monkey sounds.

What about your regular drum sounds?

We sample most of our drums. If not, we work on and edit the drum sounds in our machines so they don't sound like stock sounds.

One of your most noticeable arrangement techniques on that album involves frequently leaving the bass out. In those sections of "Jam," "Why You Wanna Trip On Me," "In the Closet," and other titles from Dangerous, did you ever consider not taking out the bass line?

No, we didn't. We always just did it the way we felt. When we dropped the bass, the rhythm was always pumpin'. The rhythm was between my music and Michael's vocal. As long as we were hittin', if we didn't have to use the bass, we didn't use it. A lot of people think that having a lot of music is the key to putting an arrangement together. But we don't just add music or instruments just to be adding. It's more about what you feel in the music, what you think is happening. Anything can go, as long as it's hip or street.

When you do have a bass part, it often has a strong analog feel, as on "Remember the Time."

For me, that song was true R&B. I didn't put hip-hop into it until the remix. For that, I used a real upright jazz bass on a hip-hop beat. I really like that one. I also changed the organ part on the remix and did it with my voice through a vocoder.

Some of Michael's early work with Quincy Jones was much more fully orchestrated. Were you consciously deciding to go in an opposite direction in your collaboration?

As far as my production, yeah. I didn't want to go the same way Quincy went, but I also didn't want to leave his style. So I took a little bit of each. I had my style and his style in my head, and I put them together.

What is there on Dangerous that reflects Michael's earlier style? On "She Drives Me Wild," for example, there seem to be some chordal echoes of "Thriller."

Well, that's what he wanted. He said, "You know what I'd like to have overlaid to new jack swing? I'd still like to have my strings. I want the strings to be really wide." So that's what we did, even on "Dangerous."

They're wide, but they're not overwhelming.

I know. They're part of the flavor. We liked the strings so much that we tried to turn them up as loud as we could get them. But we turned them back down when they started dominating the other tracks.

Michael also seems to be referring to "Bil-lie jean" in his falsetto vocals on "Dangerous. "

"Dangerous" had already been recorded by Bill Bottrell [co-producer of four cuts on Dangerous), but the music didn't move Michael. I told Michael, 'I like Billy. I like his producing, and everything about him. But this is your album, Michael. If this is the right tune, I can utilize what you have in your singing. Let me change that whole bottom and put a new floor in there.' He said, 'Try it. I guess we gotta use what we love.' And we did. I'm quite sure that if anyone else had come up with a better 'Dangerous,' he would have used that. So it's not actually about me or Billy; it's about the music. I always say that the music is the star.

Was there an element of having to follow in the formidable footsteps of Quincy Jones on this project?

Well, that's my plan. I want to be like Quincy Jones. I've always looked up to him, more than to any other producer out there. He's the one. Like Quincy, I just can't stay in one category. I'll do any kind of music. It's like being a scientist: You have to find the right method for solving a problem or curing a disease. That what producers do. When you're working with someone, you've got to find the right style, the right sound, for them. You have to draw a circle around each artist and make them fit into that circle.

How much of your work on Dangerous was based not just on finding a sound that works, but on finding a sound that contrasts with the one that Michael and Quincy developed?

Almost all of it.

So if you came up with something that sounded a bit too much like Thriller, for example, that was reason enough to abandon that approach and search for something different.

Yes. We didn't want to sound like another Thriller. We wanted to top it, even though that's impossible. I guess some people are saying that Dangerous is better than Thriller or Bad. But I won't say it's better until it sells as much as those albums. If Dangerous doesn't sell more than Bad, even with the recession that we're having, then I don't feel that it's better.

Do sales really have that much impact on how you feel about the quality of your work as a producer?

In a way they do. I don't want to say that sales have an impact all the way about how I feel. I don't check up on how many copies are selling. I just think that if it sells that much, it's a great album. Everybody tells me it's a great album, that they love what I'm doing with Michael. I like that; that's cool. But I don't have an ego about it. I just say thank you and be on my way.

You play keyboards on all of the cuts that you produce on Dangerous. But a number of players in addition to you are also credited as keyboardists on the opening song, "Jam."

Well, "Jam" was brought to me as just a drum beat. Rene Moore and Bruce Swedien came up with the idea and gave it to Michael as a beat, so you can't take that credit away from them. But it was just a stripped tune until Michael did his vocals and I came in with the icing. I actually added most of the keyboard parts, all of the percussion elements, all of the horn parts, and all of the guitar parts to make the tune what it is today.

Do authentic drum patterns work better on ballads than on up tunes?

Yeah. On up-tempo tunes, anything goes.
    Like most dance music, your up-tempo songs empasize a strong backbeat. But not always: "jam" has a more complex snare part.

By Robert l. Doerschuk keyboard 1992

Interview with Teddy Riley about Michael Jackson and Guy

Teddy Riley Blog:

Teddy Rileys Blog

Questioning Teddy Riley:

Teddy Riley (AskTeddyRiley) | Formspring

Teddy Riley Twitter:

http://twitter.com/teddyriley1

• Source: daveway, Gearslutz Forum

Post here if you worked on Michael Jackson's DANGEROUS album - Page 25 - Gearslutz.com

• Zitat

"One morning MJ came in with a new song he had written overnight. We called in a guitar player, and Michael sang every note of every chord to him. "here's the first chord first note, second note, third note. Here's the second chord first note, second note, third note", etc., etc. We then witnessed him giving the most heartfelt and profound vocal performance, live in the control room through an SM57.

He would sing us an entire string arrangement, every part. Steve Porcaro once told me he witnessed MJ doing that with the string section in the room. Had it all in his head, harmony and everything. Not just little eight bar loop ideas. he would actually sing the entire arrangement into a micro-cassette recorder complete with stops and fills."

Source: Jeanann Leone, Gearslutz Forum

Source: Rob Hoffman (Sound Engineer), Gearslutz Forum

• Source: Rob Hoffman, Gearslutz Forum

Post here if you worked on Michael Jackson's DANGEROUS album - Page 32 - Gearslutz.com

• ( ich hoffe das passt mit hier rein, sonst verschiebt es einfach ... :) )

STEVE LUKATHER - von TOTO

HARRIS: Steve Lukather is a longtime professional musician who has played for a number of artists, including Michael Jackson. You can hear him playing guitar on Michael Jackson's highly successful "Thriller" album. Highly successful -- talk about understatements.

Steve joins us on the phone from Los Angeles to talk about the impact of Michael Jackson.

Steve, appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

STEVE LUKATHER, MUSICIAN: Hey, man. How's it going?

HARRIS: Hey, it's -- we're remembering Michael Jackson. It's a difficult day, but we're happy to be able to do this. And thanks for helping us remember him.

LUKATHER: Yes. I mean, you know, it's kind of a big shock to everybody. I mean, obviously, the phone has been off the hook. Everybody I know is calling each other going, wow, what's up?

And I played on the record. And it's a really terrible shame. And it was a great honor to work with Michael and Quincy on what is to be a legendary record.

HARRIS: Yes, absolutely. I mean, look, we're talking about you in the context of your work on "Thriller," but my goodness. You were part of that supergroup Toto.

LUKATHER: Yes. Well, we had a good run back in the day. You know?

HARRIS: Yes. "Toto IV," a monster LP. "Africa" -- what was the other big hit on "Toto IV?"

LUKATHER: "Rosanna." We had a few of them.

HARRIS: Yes. How did you come to meet Michael, and how is it that you and Steve Porcaro came to work on "Thriller"?

LUKATHER: Well, actually, I had worked on Quincy Jones's "The Dude" record, which was an album of the year. And then our record was album of the year, the next record, "Toto IV," and then "Thriller," Quincy asked us to come in.

Actually, Michael called me on the phone, and I didn't believe it was really him, so I gave him a bunch of grief because he woke me up in the morning. It was kind of funny, and then I found out it was really him.

Quincy's office called and said, "No, that was really Michael," because I kept hanging up on him. But, you know, ,he was really a nice guy to work with, a total pro. And like I said, it was a great honor to be a part of something so huge. You know?

HARRIS: Hey, Steve, what tracks did you play on?

LUKATHER: I played on "Beat It." I played all the rhythm guitar parts and the base. And Eddie did the solo. And Jeff Porcaro did the drums and Michael sang.

And then I played on "Human Nature," which Steve Porcaro wrote, played all the keyboards on. And I played guitar on that. And I did the duet with Paul McCartney as well. HARRIS: Yes, "The Girl is Mine."

LUKATHER: Yes.

HARRIS: Yes.

What do you remember about Michael working in those sessions?

LUKATHER: Just, you know, he was very specific, he was very focused on the work. He knew what he wanted. And if he liked something, you could tell right away. If he was iffy about it, he would let you know. But he was very pleasant.

There was always a ton of people around, so it was kind of daunting, really. But once we got into the work and people kind of disappeared, and it was just Quincy, Michael and myself, or whoever, if we were cutting a track, just the musicians itself, it was really great.

And it was a total -- you know, Quincy is always an ultimate class act. And Bruce Swedien (ph), the engineer. I mean, it was just people I felt very comfortable with because we worked together before.

HARRIS: So, Steve, apart from the tracks you worked on, on "Thriller," is there a signature Michael Jackson song for you?

LUKATHER: Oh, jeez. I mean, you know, that whole record is full of them.

HARRIS: Right.

LUKATHER: You know what I mean? And also, "Off the Wall" was a great record, too.

HARRIS: There you go.

LUKATHER: It was the album to be on if you were, like, a session guy at that time. You know what I mean?

And we were asked because I guess we liked what he did. So I never thought this day would come. I mean, he's my age. So, it's kind of weird. You get just kind of creeped out. You know, the harsh reality of life.

HARRIS: Tell me about it.

LUKATHER: I mean, I didn't really know the guy as a personal friend, per se, just as a working situation. He was very pleasant and a very nice guy.

HARRIS: Well, Steve, thanks for your time.

LUKATHER: Thank you very much. God bless the family. God bless them all, really.

HARRIS: Yes. Thanks for your reflections. Steve Lukather, boy, one of the mainstays of Toto, performed on "Beat It" and a couple of other tracks on the "Thriller" album.

CNN, Remembering MJ, June 26th 2009

stevelukather.net - Interviews

Michael Jackson died, the world cried, but sang, danced, laughed because we know that's what he would've wanted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Source: Rob Hoffman, (robmix), Gearslutz Forum

Post here if you worked on Michael Jackson's DANGEROUS album - Page 32 - Gearslutz.com

• Peter Freestone (Freddie Mercury's PA) remembers Michael Jackson

Michael by Peter

The first time I met Michael Jackson was backstage at The Forum in Los Angeles in early July 1980. He was at the QUEEN show that evening and came to see the band afterwards. He spent time with John Deacon and they talked about ‘Another One Bites the Dust’ which Michael says must be a single. He also spent time with Freddie. He was 22 years old and was like an excited teenager. He had really enjoyed the show and was still ‘up’ from it.

The next time was a couple of years later when Freddie had been invited to Michael’s house in Encino, just north of Hollywood. We arrived at the house, having passed a security tower at the gate. We got out of the car at a mock Tudor mansion, bricks at the lower level, and white stucco and wooden beams above. Michael came to greet us with a big smile, obviously proud of his house. Before we could go in, he insisted we accompany him on a tour of the grounds. I will never forget Freddie Mercury walking through mud, wearing white jeans and white tennis shoes, talking to llamas! We were shown all the animals and taken down to a pond where Michael had swans. Michael had a real love for these animals and birds; they were part of ‘his family’, as Freddie’s friends were part of his.

Michael took us into the house. I don’t know how many rooms there were in it. I do know that Michael lived there with his mother, Katherine, his two sisters, Latoya and Janet, and there were rooms for guests should anybody stay over. As we entered Michael’s bedroom, I was struck by three things, that gave an insight to Michael.. All around the room, on the floor were his gold and platinum awards for ‘Thriller’. They obviously meant a lot to him, he kept them close, but he didn’t need to show them to the world, he didn’t need to show everybody how good he was. The second thing was the large terrarium along one wall containing his snake. Much had been made in the press about this favourite creature, and he was in Michaels’s room, but under heavy planks of wood kept in place with many bricks. He may have been a ‘friend’, but kept very securely. Third and last was- in the middle of the room was a king-size mattress on the floor.

Freddie asked Michael “where is the bed? You have enough money to buy one!” Michael’s reply “when I sleep I like to sleep close to the earth”,

“But we are up on the first floor!” retorted Freddie.
    We were shown through many rooms including a film room which had a vast library of films where I watched one, while Freddie and Michael worked, joined by Janet. Another wonderful situation was when Freddie was in the toilet, Michael took me to his video games room and we played the early version of table tennis. There were two players, one black and the other white. We started playing and Michael was the one who pointed out that we were playing the opposite colours – “I’m playing the white and you’re playing the black!”

On the way to the studio at the back of the ground floor we were taken through the kitchen where we were introduced to Katherine, Michael’s mother. She was very kind and hospitable. When Freddie asked for an ashtray, she produced a jam jar lid, as no one in the house smoked!
    The work comprised of a Michael track, ‘State of Shock’, which only needed another vocal, which Freddie happily provided. When they had finished it really only needed mixing, but sadly after this session time was the enemy and Freddie and Michael never had free time together, so Michael got Mick Jagger to put his vocal on this and it was released in this form.

The next was a Freddie piece he was just working on at this time. There was a piano tune and Freddie had come up with a few words. Freddie sat at the piano and let Michael try the singing. Where there were no words written Freddie told Michael to ad-lib, which he did with words about love.

Michael then ordered in some food for us all. There were these large platters of cold meats, salads, bread, and fruit. We started in, but Michael wouldn’t touch any as he was a strict vegetarian at the time and would only have food made by his mother.

Work was started on a third track with a working title ‘Victory’. There was only one technician in the studio. There were no instruments set up and no musicians. Freddie and Michael worked in much the same way. At the start of a track they need a drum track to keep the beat, and then they add music and instruments to this. Michael had a clever idea for the bass drum beat. He and Freddie were in the control room with the technician and I spent 5 minutes banging a toilet door in perfect time!! Somewhere in Michael’s vaults there is a tape of me!!

The studio was a place of work for both Freddie and Michael, but watching them you could also imagine two children in a play room. Both of them would throw their hands in the air and burst out laughing when either of them made a mistake, but it really was a serious business too. Thinking back now to this time watching these two masters of their craft were together in one place putting this music together, gives me goose bumps.

Who was Michael Jackson for me? I met a beautiful young man. He and Freddie had much in common. He was confident, and already an incredible musician and performer. He was a resourceful technician and a considerate human being. He never once treated me any differently than he did Freddie. He thought of others in situations even though it might have had nothing to do with him. In the few conversations I had with him, I got the impression that he had few friends. He was working almost all of the time and had many professional connexions and associates. Maybe he was already a bit lonely, having to have so much security at that early age, and having to resort to bringing indoors the entertainment anyone else his age could go out for. He was only 3 years younger than me, but still hadn’t grown up! He still wanted so many of the simple things in life to bring him happiness, but did find some peace with his animals.

Montreuxmusic - Michael by Peter

• ^ die Übersetzung dazu gibt´s hier ---> JacksonVillage - Der Michael Jackson Klub #3

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ...ich hab auch mal was gefunden...wurde heute in meinem andern Forum gepostet..

Meine 3 Stunden mit dem King of Pop
    War er wirklich seltsam?

Von Chuck Dakota

(Anm.: Ich übersetze nicht wortwörtlich, sondern fasse sinngemäß zusammen).

Interviewing Michael Jackson. It's easy to judge based on the image of a person. It's even easier when we don't
    "know" them personally. We draw conclusions based on what the popular media tells us and surprisingly it has a
    profound effect on us. Having been in broadcasting for over 20 years, I can attest to the power of media. If we tell
    you the sky is falling long enough and put enough "experts" on the air, you're eventually going to buy into it. This
    is exactly what happened to Michael Joseph Jackson! After hearing all the news and seeing all the "experts" talk
    about the greatest entertainer of all time, I felt compelled to write about the "Man in the Mirror." It amazes me
    that people can get on TV that have had NO interaction with the King of Pop and draw conclusions on who or what
    he was.

Ein Interview mit Michael Jackson. Es ist leicht, jemanden aufgrund seines Images zu verurteilen. Noch leichter,
    wenn man denjenigen nicht persönlich “kennt”. Man glaubt dem, was die Medien uns erzählen. Wenn wir dir lange
    genug und mit Experten an unserer Seite erzählen, der Himmel fällt runter, wirst du es glauben. Und genau das ist
    MJ passiert. Nachdem ich alle diese Experten gehört hatte, fühlte ich mich gezwungen über den “Mann im Spiegel”
    zu schreiben. Es verwunderte mich, dass Leute im Fernsehen über ihn berichteten, die ihn nie trafen.

In the summer of 2008, in a very plush section on Beverly Hills, I had a chance to sit down with Michael Jackson
    one on one for an exclusive interview. We'd been working on getting this interview for well over two years. To put
    in gently, Michael was gun shy over the media and didn't trust them and when you look at what "we" did to him
    how could you blame him? We went through the seven gates of hell in order to get a one-on-one with this kind,
    gentle man. We had to sign waiver after waiver and when it was all said and done, the date, time and location was
    set.

Im Sommer 2008 in Beverly Hills hatte ich die Chance, MJ zu interviewen. Wir hatten 2 Jahre dran gearbeitet,
    dieses Interview zu bekommen. Michal war sehr scheu den Medien gegenüber und traute ihnen nicht – aber wenn
    du weißt, was “wir” ihm angetan haben, wie kann man das dann verurteilen? Wir gingen durch die 7 Tore der
    Hölle und ein Interview mit diesem netten Mann zu erhalten. Wir unterzeichneten eine Verzichtserklärung nach der
    anderen und als endlich alles gesagt und getan war, wurde Datum, Zeit und Ort festgelegt

We were putting together an MJ retrospective that would be broadcast on many major radio stations across the
    county and around the world. We were told we would have 30 minutes with the King. Now I must admit preparing
    for the interview I was worried because the "Ryder" as it's called in show business was unlike anything I've ever
    seen. Basically a "Ryder" is a list of wants, desires, dos and don'ts on behalf of the artist. After reviewing it, I
    thought for sure I was going to come face to face with the biggest freak of them all.... Oh how wrong I was!

Das Interview sollte 30 Minuten dauern und ich war besorgt wegen dem “Ryder”. Ein Ryder ist eine Liste von
    Wünschen, Verlangen, und was man gegenüber dem Artist tun darf und was nicht. Nach dem ich diese Liste
    gelesen habe, war ich mir sicher, ich bekäme den größten Freak aller Zeiten zu Augen. Oh, wie falsch ich lag!!

The "Ryder" basically said we had to be 10 feet from MJ at all times, we couldn't touch him, we had to take our
    shoes off and put "booties" on our feet, we were not allowed to give him anything, we had to sanitize our hands
    before entering the room and the one that really got us was that we had to refer to him as "King Michael"! So
    imagine reading this and thinking to yourself of how you're going to pull off a legitimate interview without coming
    across like an ass! The King Michael.. Get real! What's worse, this wasn't a joke! This was a real document that we
    had to sign with penalties in excess of a million dollars if we broke the "rules of engagement"!

Der "Ryder" besagte, wir müssten permanent 10 Fuß von MJ entfernt bleiben, dürften ihn nicht berühren, hätten
    unsere Schuhe auszuziehen und Booties überzuziehen, wir dürften ihm nichts geben, müssten unsere Hände mit
    Steryllium waschen bevor wir in den Raum gingen und das, was am krassesten war, wir sollten ihn mit "King
    Michael" ansprechen. So bitte, stell dir vor du liest das und überlege, was du dann denken würdest. "King
    Michael…" Aber es war ein echtes Dokument und wir hatten es bei 1 Million Dollar Strafe zu unterzeichnen, dass
    wir uns daran halten würden.

The night before the interview my entire team was talking about what it was going to be like? After all my crew
    were seasoned broadcast professionals. We've interviewed everyone from Super Bowl champs to the president and
    never gone through anything like this before. Needless to say we were a little worried and nervous if we were
    going to be able to pull it off, especially after going through all the trouble to get the interview!

Die Nacht vor dem Interview sprach das ganze Team darüber, wie es wohl werden würde. Wir hatten schon vom
    Super Bowl bis zum Präsidenten Leute interviewt, aber sowas hatten wir noch nicht erlebt. Natürlich waren wir
    besorgt und nervös, besonders nach der Mühe, die es bedurfte, das Interview überhaupt zu kriegen!

We were asked to be at the interview location at noon. We were given a room number and a "code" to get
    through security. By the way, the code... "MJJITK". To this day we still don't know what it means.

Mittags sollten wir da sein. Wir bekamen eine Raumnummer und der Code war MJJITK. Bis heute wissen wir nicht,
    was das heißt (Anmerkung: vielleicht Michael J. Jackson is the King?)

After a twenty-minute search of our bags, briefcases and persons we were lead into a room. It was a mediumsized
    room withgorgeous furniture, classical music playing softly and the drapes closed tight with all the lights on.
    We were told "Mr. Jackson would be right in". When the security chief told us that we were taken aback. We had
    just went through a security check more intense then the Secret Service gives when interviewing a president and
    now we're left alone in his main sitting room waiting for the man himself.

Wir wurden durchsucht und dann in den Raum gelassen. Er war mittelgroß, mit prächigen Möbeln. Klassische
    Musik spielte. Uns wurde gesagt, Mr. Jackson käme gleich. Wir hatten gerade einen Sicherheitsscheck durch, der
    intensiver als bei einem Interview vom Präsidenten war und nun saßen wir alleine in diesem Raum und warteten
    auf MJ.

About 15 minutes into the wait, we could hear MJ talking and laughing. He was asking about one of his children
    and whomever he was talking to was telling him about the child running after another sibling and getting mad
    because they couldn't catch up. He found that funny and the laughter that came from him was laughter from the
    soul.

In der 15minütigen Wartezeit konnten wir MJ reden und lachen hören. Er fragte nach einem seiner Kinder und wer
    auch immer erzählte ihm, dass das Kind mit einem seiner Geschwister Kriegen gespielt hatte und verrückt wurde,
    weil er den anderen nicht erwischt hat. MJ fand das lustig und das Lachen war ein Lachen aus der Seele heraus.

The giggling fainted off and we heard a cough and from the left side of the room which lead to the master
    bedroom, Michael Jackson appeared by himself dressed in black jeans, a red t-shirt, his hair perfect and very little
    make up. As he approached we all stood up and the first words out of his mouth was, "Hello, I'm Michael
    Jackson", he voice so soft but yet with authority.

Als Michael rein kam, trug er eine schwarze Jeans, rotes T-Shirt, Haare perfekt gemacht und nur ein leichtes Makeup.
    Wir standen alle auf und das erste was er sagte war “hallo, ich bin Michael Jackson“. Seine Stimme war weich
    aber mit Autorität.

After the nervous introductions he asked us where he wanted him to sit. I told him anywhere would be fine. He
    asked if we wanted anything and we declined and thanked him for the opportunity to have a one on one
    conversation and he did something that totally blew me away. He thanked me for taking the time to come and
    visit with him.

Er fragte uns, wo er sitzen sollte. Ich sagte überall wäre in Ordnung. Er fragte, ob wir irgendetwas möchten und
    wir verneinten und dankten für die Interview-Möglichkeit. Er sagte dann etwas, dass mich vom Stuhl haute – er
    dankte MIR, dass ich mir die Zeit genommen zu kommen und ihn zu besuchen.

I was floored at that moment. I knew this man wasn't anything like the "Ryder" or the press played him to be.
    Before me was the most talented man in the world with a heart just as big and soul to match.

Ich war platt. Ich wusste, dieser Mann war nichts von dem, was in dem Ryder stand oder die Presse sagte. Vor mir
    stand der meist talentierte Mann der Welt mit einem riesigen Herz und Seele.

We started the interview and it was a typical interview with the basic question on his career and where he's been
    and where he's going. He took his time with every answer giving honest open answers. During the interview he
    laughed, joked, made fun our audio tech because he was wearing a UCLA hat and always looked me in the eye.

Wir starteten das Interview und es war ein typisches Interview mit den Fragen zu Karriere und wo er war und wo
    er hin will… er nahm sich Zeit, jede Frage offen zu beantworten. Während des Interviews lachte er, machte Späße
    über unsere Audio Technik. Er trug eine UCLA Mütze und schaute mir immer direkt in die Augen.

I knew we only had thirty minutes so I set the pace and completed the interview with 4 minutes to spare. I
    thanked him for the interview and he asked me if I had somewhere to go. I told him we were going to see some
    of the sites and what come out of his mouth next shocked us all. He said that we didn't have to rush off; he had
    some questions about broadcasting that he wanted to know if we could answer. The King of Pop, asking us to stay.

Ich wusste, wir haben nur 30 Minuten. Ich dankte ihm für das Interview und er fragte, ob ich noch einen Termin
    hätte. Wir waren baff, als er sagte, wir müssten uns nicht beeilen, er hätte ein paar Fragen zu der Rundfunkübertragung. Er, der King of Pop, bat uns zu bleiben.

Of course we did and our conversation went from radio stations and why they play the music they do to the
    promotions to our kids to his kids to his childhood, our favorite food, his favorite food and everything in between.
    It was like talking to a best friend that you haven't seen in years. He was relaxed, very open, at times emotional,
    which in turn made us emotional because of his pure honesty over delicate subjects.

Natürlich blieben wir und die Konversation ging über Radio-Stationen wo seine Musik spielte bis zur Werbung,
    unsere Kinder, seine Kinder zu seiner Kindheit, unser/sein Lieblingsessen und alles, was es noch so gibt. Es war
    wie ein Gesprächmit einem besten Freund, den du ein paar Jahre nicht gesehen hast. Er war entspannt, sehr
    offen, manchmal emotional, was uns emotional werden ließ wegen dieser puren, ehrlichen Aufrichtigkeit.

About two hours into our meeting, a man walked into the room and informed MJ that he needs to wrap it up
    because he has another interview within the hour. He turned to the huge brick of a man and said, "They can wait,
    they can't do the interview without me."

Nach ca. 2 Stunden kam ein Mann rein und sagte zu MJ dass da noch jemand ein Termin hätte – er sagte nur “sie
    können warten, sie können das Interview nicht ohne mich machen”.

This brought us to a discussion that makes me want to slap everyone who trash talks this man and gives opinions
    over media reports instead of the truth.

Das bringt mich zu dem Gespräch, das mich jeden schlagen lassen möchte, der Müll über diesen Mann redet und
    falsche Meinungen in den Medien anstelle der Wahrheit verbreitet…

He looked down at his shoes with his legs shaking as if they were dancing in tempo and asked us if we ever felt
    like a prisoner? He went on to say that all of his life he never had the chance to do anything for himself; he always
    was made to have someone else do it. Even at 49 years old he still had the chains of his childhood bound to him in
    a way that prevented him from being anything other than the King of Pop.

Er sah auf seine Schuhe, seine Beine waren in Bewegung als ob er tanzte und fragte uns, ob wir uns jemals wie
    ein Gefangener gefühlt hätten? Er fuhr fort und sagte, sein ganzes Leben hatte er nie die Chance, etwas für sich
    selbst zu tun, er wurde immer dazu gebracht, etwas anderes zu tun. Selbst mit 49 hat er immer noch die Ketten
    seiner Kindheit, die ihn fesseln und die ihn hindern, jemals etwas anderes zu sein als der King of Pop.

Three and half hours had passed and the whole time I was praying that our audio guy was recording every second
    of what is without doubt the highlight of my career. A middle-aged woman walked into the room and said,
    "Michael one of the children cut open a knee while playing". His response was genuine and I'll wait until I post the
    audio to let you hear it for yourself! He was truly an amazing dad that loved his kids!

3,5 Stunden waren vergangen und ich betete, dass der Tontechniker jede Sekunde aufgenommen hatte von dem,
    was zweifellos das Highlight meiner Karriere war. Eine Frau kam ins Zimmer und sagte, eins der Kinder hätte sich
    am Knie verletzt. Ich kann kaum erwarten das Interview zu veröffentlichen damit ihr ihn selbst hören könnt! Er
    war wirklich ein erstaunlicher Vater der seine Kinder liebte.

As we were saying our goodbyes he gave us his personal email address and asked for ours. We had some
    memorabilia we bought in Hollywood and asked if he would sign them. He asked were we got it and we told him
    we had just bought it and he said "no-no that won't work" and called for one of his staff. He instructed the staffer
    to give us our money back for everything we bought and to assemble gift bags for each of us plus our spouses
    and children and then he signed everything we had and we said our goodbyes.

Als wir uns verabschiedeten, gab er uns seine E-Mail-Adresse und fragte nach unserer. Wir hatten ein paar MJSouvenirs
    in Hollywood gekauft und fragten ihn nach Autogrammen. Er sagte, nein, so geht das nicht und rief jemanden vom Personal. Er beauftragte ihn, jedem von uns das Geld für das Gekaufte zurückzugeben und dazu
    Geschenke für uns, unsere Frauen und Kinder und dann unterzeichnete er alles, was wir hatten und sagten Goodbye.

As he went around the room saying goodbye I couldn't get over how real this man was. He was grateful that we took the time to stop by. He got to me and I extended my hand and then I thought of the "Ryder" and all the
    money I was going to have to pay if I touched him and before I could say anything he hugged me and whispered
    in my year that it was a great interview and thanked me for not bringing up the scandal with the allegations of
    sexual misconduct with a child. I had chills from the tip of my hair to my toes and just like that he was gone!

Wir liefen durch den Raum und ich konnte nicht fassen, wie echt dieser Mann war. Er war dankbar, dass wir uns
    die Zeit genommen hatten. Er kam zu mir und nahm meine Hand und ich dachte an den "Ryder" und all die
    Millionen, die ich jetzt zahlen müsste, weil ich ihn angefasst habe. Aber ich konnte nichts sagen, er umarmte mich
    und sagte, das war ein tolles Interview und dankte mir, dass ich nichts von dem Missbrauchvorwurf erwähnt hatte.
    Ich hatte Gänsehaut von den Haarwurzeln bis zu den Zehen und dann war er verschwunden.

Twenty minutes later a man came into the room to escort us out and he had a cart full of MJ memorable that
    included jackets, more signed 8x10's, cd's, dolls, DVD's and so much more. 22 bags in all well worth six to seven
    hundred dollars apiece and then he handed each one of us an envelope that had the money we paid for the
    merchandise.

20 Minuten später kam ein Mann und begleitete uns nach draußen und hatte für jeden von uns ein großes Paket
    MJ-Souvernirs, inkl. Jacken, CD’s, Puppen, DVD’s. 22 Taschen, sicher 600-700 Dollar das Stück wert.

I know this story doesn't go into the details of what we talked about. We're working on getting that transcribed
    and a link to our site so you can listen for yourself what we experienced and by the way our audio man got it all!

Ich weiß, diese Geschichte sagt nichts über das, über was wir gesprochen haben, das kommt an anderer Stelle

Michael Jackson was the most real, honest, loving human being I've ever met. He wasn't a monster, wasn't a
    freak, didn't look that weird, had the gentlest of souls and cared about his fellow man. When you read the
    transcripts or listen to the raw audio you'll hear a man that wants to change to world and make it a better place
    but what he doesn't realize is, he already has and that comes to proof in death more than life.

Michael Jackson war das echteste, aufrichtigste, liebenswürdigste menschliche Wesen, das ich je getroffen habe.
    Er war kein Monster, kein Freak, er sah nicht seltsam aus, hatte die feinste aller Seelen. Wenn du das Interview
    hörst, hörst du einen Mann, der die Welt ändern will um aus ihr einen besseren Platz zu machen, aber was er noch
    nicht gemerkt hat, er hat es bereits getan und das ist jetzt nach seinem Tod mehr bewiesen als zu Lebzeiten.

He wasn't anything like the media made him to be. Yes he was small and looked fragile but looking back I don't
    think he could have been anything less because of the world he had to live in. The man had every move he made
    investigated under a microscope his entire life. He didn't have a childhood, never had the real love of a woman of the freedom to be a man.

Er war nichts von dem, was die Medien aus ihm machen wollten. Ja, er war schmal und sah zerbrechlich aus, aber
    schau zurück, ich denke nicht er hätte irgendwas anderes sein können wegen dieser Welt, in der er gelebt hat. Der
    Mann hat jeden Schritt unter dem Mikroskop verbracht. Er hatte keine Kindheit, niemals die echte Liebe einer Frau,
    um die Freiheit zu haben, ein Mann zu sein.

His children were his life. If the months after the interview he would email me and I would email him and he
    always talked of his kids and how much they meant to him. He would talk about the tour he was planning in
    London and how he hoped to pull it off and if he did how it would impact his kids. He was always worried about
    his actions and how it would affect his children. He talked about getting in shape and how he was looking onward to getting back on stage one more time.

Seine Kinder waren sein Leben. In den Monaten nach den Interview mailten wir miteinander und er sprach
    immerzu von seinen Kindern und wieviel sie ihm bedeuten. Er sprach über die geplante Tour in London und wie
    das seine Kinder sehen würden. Er war immer besorgt über sie oder wie die Dinge sie beeinflusen könnten. Er
    sprach über sein Comeback.

When the news of his death went worldwide I was sad and cried like I had lost my brother. To know him was an
    honor.

Als die Nachricht von seinem Tod kam, war ich traurig und weinte, als ob ich meinen Bruder verloren hätte. Ihn
    kennengelernt zu haben, war eine Ehre.

The media and what they've done and said about him since his death makes this interview so much more special
    to me. I laugh when they say the things they do because they never had the chance to know the man, not the
    legend but the man.

Die Medien und was sie ihm angetan haben und was sie sagen, seit er gestorben ist machen dieses Interview noch
    wertvoller für mich. Ich lache, wenn sie Dinge sagen, weil sie niemals die Chance hatten, den Mann
    kennenzulernen. Nicht die Legende, den Mann.

I had my doubts. I didn't believe he was "innocent." I thought he was a freak and thought this interview was
    going to be the biggest cluster and a chance to say.. "yea.. He's weird all right".. but instead I found a angel from
    heaven that God gave us for a short time to open our eyes to the good in all of us and what can happen when a
    select few take the spotlight and twist it to make him look dark and evil when all along his wings were spread
    never giving up the will to fly away!

Ich hatte meine Zweifel. Ich glaubte nicht an seine “Unschuld”. Ich dachte, er wäre ein Freak und erhalte durch
    das Interview den größten Beweis und die Chance zu sagen, "ja, er ist seltsam". Aber stattdessen fand ich
    einen Engel vom Himmel, den Gott uns für eine kurze Zeit geschickt hat, damit wir unsere Augen
    öffnen für das Gute in uns allen und was passieren kann, wenn ein paar Leute das Rampenlicht nehmen um
    ihn dunkel und böse darzustellen, während er seine Flügel spreizte und niemals den Wunsch aufgab, wegzufliegen.

Quelle Originaltext:http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...urs.html?cat=2
    Geändert von Susa (20.08.2010 um 14:37 Uhr)

• LL Cool J berichtet von mehreren Songs, an denen er gearbeitet hat. Sind da schon mehr bekannt, als "Serious Effect" ?

[video=youtube;y0PTgDTql9E]

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne deine Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklärst du dich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    "]
    Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne deine Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklärst du dich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/video]

• Source: Rob Hoffman (robmix), Gearslutz Forum

• MARSHA AMBROSIUS REMEMBERS MICHAEL JACKSON: ‘I WAS HIS SINGING HEIFER’

Not many artists can lay claim to collaborating with a legend before they’ve even gotten their feet wet, but they’re not Marsha Ambrosius. Ten years ago, the English songstress worked alongside Michael Jackson to create “Butterflies,” a hit single off the King of Pop’s Invincible album, and has fond memories from the once-in-a-lifetime experience.

The former Floetry member played a pivotal role in the song’s evolution, but she was just happy to be part of the process. “The original record I produced and wrote myself,” Marsha tells Rap-Up.com. “Andre Harris co-produced it with me. I worked with Michael Jackson on the record here in New York in March 2001. Wow, it’s 10 years later and my album is going to be out. I just did the math on that. It’s crazy.”

As a sign of appreciation to the late pop icon, Marsha offers a remixed version of “Butterflies” on her debut solo LP, Late Nights & Early Mornings. The 33-year-old is grateful for the memories, even years later.

“Getting the opportunity to work with the best who ever did it, on planet Earth, period, is just a blessing,” she shares. “For me, it was just paying my respects. For those who don’t know, I’ve worked with him, but I knew him outside of music. I knew him as a father, as a friend. It was me paying my respects back to him and just thanking him for doing something for me so early in my career I never expected. When I came in the industry at such an early age—for me, 20, 21—it was way early to take on as a businesswoman and having Michael Jackson be one of the first artists that you work with as a producer and a writer, I just think that’s a blessing.”

Though the public knew Jackson for being reserved and soft-spoken in interviews, behind studio doors he was anything but. “Michael Jackson was a practical joker,” reveals Marsha. “He was just funny. And his laugh just made you laugh. When we were in the studio, his engineer kept calling me a singing heifer. And [Michael] would tell the engineer, ‘You know a heifer is a cow, that’s a cow.’ I’ll never forget that. So I’ll always be Michael Jackson’s singing heifer.”

Marsha Ambrosius’ debut album Late Nights & Early Mornings arrives in stores March 1, featuring the singles “Hope She Cheats on You (With a Basketball Player)” and “Far Away.”

Rap-Up.com || Marsha Ambrosius Remembers Michael Jackson:

• Tricky Stewart Speaks On His Michael Jackson Experience

VIBE.COM By: jkennedy Posted 6-25-2011 10:03 am

"I met Michael years and years ago in the early 90s like 1993. And one day he was working at a tudio and he was about to block the studio for a couiple weeks. I was running over and he and teddy riley were trying to kick me out bc I was working all night. At that time he would have a bunch of video games to create the vibe and he caught me playing one of his pacman games and he was like you know youre playing my game right? laughs. There’s no mistaking that voice. I turn around and there he was. he was just kidding though, real cool. it was just amazing to be in his presence, it was a dream come true. Everyone who’s ever done music has wanted to do something with Michael Jackson. I believe he was the numnber one call in all of music for pretty much all of his career.

it was quick. I was just in awe. He might have said other things, but at that point you don’t hear much (laughs). You’ll never know you’ll react until he’s right behind. I thought I was cool around every star, but there’s the ones that still shake you up.

I worked on three songs for MJ, one of them which definietyely made it and two for other projects. The song is called Keep Your Head Up

We were planning on getting together at some point before, my camp and his camp. And it looked like were going to work together, but we never got to actually get in the studio. But the label contacted me about producing some previously recorded records that he was working on 2007. When I got the opp I said oh I could do something w that one and that one. I got the opp to work on this keep your head up record and it turned out to be pretty great. It’s just him doing him. He produced it and wrote it.

The idea… the way I try to do it… although I do have a sound. There’s no other umbrella, there’s no other single ladies. I believe every artist has a sound and clearly mj has one of the most indetifiable musical sounds out there. It wasn’t about me putting my sound on it, it was about making his sound the best it could be. I put a lot of effot to make sure these records felt like MJ. It was a tremendous amount of pressure to live up to his body of wrk. I was doing the best I could do, just trying to do what he would want me to do. A lot of times it felt like he was in there with me just working on the record.

I didn’t veer off what he did. There is no banging 808s because that’s not what he was known for.

The expectation was there, so there was a bit more pressure that I put on myself. Because im trying to live up to the greatest producer and some of the greatest producer. I want my place in history however it pertains to miachel Jackson that there was a certain level of integrity and creatibity put into the records.

These were works he was working on that he didn’t get the opportunity to finish. Its not me reworking a Michael Jackson, im basically filling in what he didn’t get into. I didn’t go in and create a whole entire track to a Michael Jackson vocal.

I can’t speak for anything other than what I know. The songs I worked on definitely have a really good vibe. They’re well-written, well-produced. They sound like genuine Michael Jackson records.

its got the little verse with the big chorus and the choir that comes in at the end. And he got the chance to get the choir already.

the best part of the experience is about the legacy and the lineage of what it means to have it in my discography. To work in any capacity with the greatest entertainer of all time was a huge moment for me. there’s noone more that I wanted to produce for than Michael Jackson.

One of them I worked on real heavy. A song called Slve to the Rhythem. LA and babyface wrote the record. By me having so much familiarity on their music it was lots of fun to beat those guys up. I really wanted to destroy the production on their own record laughs. So that was fun and when I played it for them they were blown away.

Everything is subject to opinion. I personally believe, given the opp to work on a mj project, I was def going to do it. I think at the end of the day, theres something to be said about the mysteriousness of his work being there. But theres something about your music being able to live on till the end of time. we’re celebrating the beatles pretty heavily right now and right before Christmas. Michael Jackson to some people wont be remembered after a certain point. It’s great to always be celebrating the greatness of people. Michael Jackson is a national treasure. He was big for our country. I think it’s the right thing to do to let people live on. I understand the case for both sides, but I knew I could keep the integrity of his music. "

http://prod.vibe.com/posts/tricky-st...son-experience

Edit: oooops, hab gerade gelesen, dass Tricky Stewart NIE mit Michael im Studio gearbeitet hat, er hatte nur das GEFÜHL, Michael wäre da.......:tatort

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!